Whether you’re an Industrial Designer or Product Engineer, there’s no sure-fire way to become a multi-millionaire.
With that said, I’m a firm believer that some people put themselves in a position of increased odds – to become rich that is.
A good designer is a good problem solver. If you can solve BIG problems, then you’ll surely be on the path to success.
Let’s take a Re-arranges screen to look at selected object. More one guy who has defied odds and become extremely rich, solving some of the world’s most interesting problems.
This is Dean Kamen. He’s most known (publicly) for inventing the Segway. He’s a product designer and inventor with a net worth of 500 million USD.
Most people know him for the invention of the Segway, but the Segway isn’t what made him rich. He’s made most of his money inventing ground-breaking medical-related devices.
Dean and his company DEKA () hold more than 440 U.S. and foreign patents.
He owns and pilots a smalllight jet aircraft and three Enstrom helicopters. He’s known for using one of his helicopters to “commute” to work.
(Some of Dean’s employee’s pictured in front of one of his Enstrom helicopters and his house in.)
Right now Dean’s working on solutions to the world’s clean water crisis.
Here’s what you need to do if you want to become a “rich” product designer and have a 500 million dollar (USD) net worth like Dean…
- Invent life-changing products*
- Hold a lot of patents (royalties and licensing)
- Have a team of some of the brightest engineers and scientist working for you
- Spend every minute of your day tinkering, learning, and experimenting
- Be willing to take huge risks (not all of his inventions have been a success)
- Be political savvy (Understands and utilizes the dynamics of power, organization, and decision making to achieve objectives)
*The key Creates a sketch point. More here is that money will come from inventions that become deemed necessary in society. His medical devices have changed the healthcare industry, making people question what they would’ve done without it.